Thursday, September 6, 2012

English 10--Thursday, September 6

Objective: How can I use metaphors and similes in my own writing to be more descriptive? How can I learn from other authors?

What we did in class today:
1- We read the first 15 minutes of class.
2-We read "My Name" by Sandra Cisneros. We underlined all the similes and metaphors.
3-We went to the computer lab to complete an Author Mimic--students copy Cisneros' style and format, but plug in their own similes and metaphors to describe themselves.

Directions Below:

My Name Author Mimic

In The House on Mango Street, Sandra Cisneros writes a vignette entitled “My Name.” After reading the piece as a class, we concluded that it isn’t really her name that she wrote about—it is her identity, a description of who she is. She tells us about herself through her use of words. Specifically, she uses two things we’ve been studying in class: Similes and Metaphors. In the computer lab today, I want each of you to try to “mimic” or “copy” this author’s style. You will draft/write your own “My Name” piece.

Questions to consider while writing this assignment:

Wait, What am I doing? You are mimicking Sandra Cisneros’ style by plugging in your own descriptions of yourself.
How long does it have to be? Try to get somewhere between a half page and a page (double space)
Do I have to include anything in it? Yes! It needs to be full of similes and metaphors that describe you!
What if I don’t have a cool, original name? It doesn’t matter. This assignment isn’t really about your name; it is about your identity. Who are you? What do you feel? What makes you happy and sad? What makes you laugh?
Remember you can follow her exact format/style and plug in your own ideas describing you.


No comments:

Post a Comment