Thursday, November 7, 2013

American Lit--Thursday, November 7

Objective: Who is Thoreau? What's the main idea from "Where I lived..."

1- Students took a quiz
2- Who was Henry David Thoreau? View Presentation
3- Watched the following video and made connections to Thoreau/transcendentalism

4- Read "Where I lived--what I lived for" from Walden--Thoreau--see Mrs. Jaynes for a copy
5- Discussed how the video "I forgot my phone" compares to Thoreau's views of living simply.


Homework
 Song assignment--

assignment example

Remember the three steps to this assignment

1- Find a transcendental song (a song that represents one or two of the Transcendental Top 5)
  • Individuality
  • Finding truth/soul grows in nature
  • Rebel against society
  • Over-Soul
  • Optimism
2- Print off the lyrics and annotate the song--extract the transcendental meaning

3- Write a paragraph following MLA format. See example


No comments:

Post a Comment